Your arrived and what now?


1º Go to your university or institute

You must make it to your new University or Institute to register and get all the practical information about your stay in Portugal (student card, class schedules, welcome kit, and so on)
If you are going to register for a full programme, look for your school’s Academic Office; if you are registering for a mobility period, look for the International Relations/ Erasmus Office instead.

Find the location and transport information to:

2º Look for a loja do cidadão (citizen information office)

The Citizen Information Office is your gate into Portugal. This is where you, as a citizen, will find several useful services:

Get a residence permit.
Necessary documents:

  • Temporary resident request form (available on the SEF website);
  • Study VISA;
  • Passport copy;
  • Proof of livelihood conditions;
  • Proof of residence in Portugal;
  • Request for a criminal record check by the Immigration and Borders Service (SEF);
  • Proof of enrollment at the University or Institute;
  • Health insurance policy statement or the PB4 document (for Brazilian citizens);

Note: Requests for temporary residence permits must be made within 90 days. of arriving in Portugal. Failing to do so will make you an illegal visitor and you will have to pay a fine.Learn more:

Get a VAT identification number (NIF)

In order to be identified by tax authorities you will need a VAT number (NIF in Portugal). This number will also allow you to open a bank account and pay for goods and services (internet, phone, etc.) The NIF request is free of cost and immediate. All you have to do is go to the Finance Service at the Loja do Cidadão (Citizen Information Office).

3º Open a bank account

You can go to any Bank in order to open an account. For your convenience, you can choose the Bank located in or near your School. To carry-out your everyday charges, an ATM card will be given to you.

Required documents:

  • Passport;
  • NIF (VAT identification number);
  • Proof of Residence;
  • Proof of enrolment at the University or Institute;

4º Register at a health center

To ensure you benefit from permanent medical assistance, you must register at the Health Center closest to your residence.

Required documents:

  • Proof of Residence Permit;
  • Identification Document;
  • After registering, you will have a beneficiary number and will be able to access the National Health Service (SNS);

Notes: If you come from an EU country, the European Economic Area or from Switzerland, you must present your European Health Insurance Card. If not, you must present proof of your health insurance. For each situation, a legally regulated amount will be charged.